WordPress has become a popular platform for websites because it is very easy to install and simple to use. For those persons who are not technologically savvy and not versed on html coding, WordPress is the solution!
Simply put, WordPress is user-friendly. It provides you with one of the easiest tools to build a website. You can avoid paying a web designer to design a theme for the platform of your website as WordPress comes equipped with pre-designed themes for you to choose from.
More importantly, is the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) feature which WordPress offers. As you might know, SEO is very important for new websites that want to get their name out there on the internet to attract a lot of website traffic. As such, WordPress offers 3rd party plugins including the “All in one SEO” which increases a site’s search visibility on the internet.
Now here comes the tricky part. If you decide to manually install WordPress, you may experience quite a lot of difficulty, even more so if you are new to it all. That’s exactly the reason why Hostgator was recommended. HostGator makes this part EASY.
Ideally, Hostgator is equipped with an integrated automatic WordPress installer! Cheerio! Less work for you! It’s a free feature that is included in your Hostgator package. So with that being said, you’re one click away from installing your WordPress via Hostgator auto-installer. Here are the steps:
- Remember in Step 3 of this guide where you have to connect your domain to your web host? Assuming your domain via Godaddy is already pointing to Hostgator nameservers, go and type in this URL: www.yourwebsite.com/cpanel
- Using the login info for Hostgator cpanel which was provided to you via the email received from Hostgator when you purchased your web hosting plan; login in where you will be directed to a page that shows the Hostgator cpanel. This page is something you should definitely familiarize yourself with as it offers a lot of features that will prove beneficial to the smooth running of your website. It also makes it more appealing to website traffic.
- On this page, locate the Software/Services box and click on Fantastico De Luxe which has a blue smiley face as the icon.
You are interested in the left side which illustrates Navigation and options under it and Blogs, also with options. Click on WordPress under blogs where you will be given the option to select New Installation.
- Select this and follow the instructions it provides. What is asked of you is to fill out information related to configuration such as your email address, the username and password you would like for your WordPress etc. NOTE: Leave the field named “Install in Directory” BLANK!
- Next, it’s time to install WordPress which is done by clicking “Install WordPress”. Once that’s been done, the next page will provide you with your MYSQL username and access to URL which should be saved for future purposes. Once you have recorded this info, click “Finish Installation”.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed your WordPress website! That wasn’t so bad after all was it? But you’re not quite done yet, next you want to configure the actual website including changing the theme from the default “twenty-ten” to which ever pre-designed theme you wish to use!